Southwest Certification Board (SCB)
The Southwest Certification Board (SCB), an affiliate of Native American Connections, is an official International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) Certification Board for the purpose of credentialing qualified alcohol and drug counselors,serving both urban and tribal Native American populations.
The IC&RC defines the jurisdiction of SCB as: Counselors working in Indian Health Service (IHS) funded agencies, Tribal and Native American operated agencies, and agencies that primarily serve American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) in the Southwestern United States. Professionals seeking certification through SCB must live or work 51 % of the time within the SCB jurisdiction.
The IC&RC standards for certification are commonly recognized by 70 agencies representing more than 37,000 certified professionals internationally, including alcohol and drug authorities in most states, Tribal alcohol and drug programs, as well as various foreign alcoholism commissions, branches of the military and Indian Health Services.
The SCB administers the IC&RC Credentialing and the Reciprocity Exam and offers certification for the following:
|Southwest Certification||IC&RC Certification|
|Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor - CADC I*||Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselor - ADC|
|Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor - CADC II|
* The CADC I is an entry-level certification for counselors and does NOT require testing and is NOT recognized by IC&RC.
The Southwest Certification Board (SCB) offers the IC&RC Reciprocity Exam for Alcohol & Drug Counselors four (4) times per year. This Exam is required for CADC II or ICADC Certification. The IC&RC exams are offered in the months of March, June, September and December.
The State of Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners (BBHE) requires counselors to be LICENSED to practice in the area of Substance Abuse Counseling. Consequently, the State of Arizona does NOT recognize Southwest Certification or IC&RC Certification credentials. However, the state of Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners requires Substance Abuse Counselors to PASS the IC&RC Reciprocity Exam for Alcohol and Drug Counselors offered by Southwest Certification in order to become a Licensed Substance Abuse Counselor. Therefore, the State of Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners (BBHE) recognizes Southwest Certification Board as an official testing site for the Exam.
How to Apply For Certification
- Please click on Credentials in the top menu to access the forms for first time applicant for CADC I or CADC II. For the credentialed professionals who are recertifying please use the recertification forms appropriate to your credential. A signed copy of the Counselor’s Professional Ethics must accompany all applications plus the appropriate fees. The IC & RC Certificate Application must be completed by CADC II professional upon each recertification to obtain the IC& RC certification & reciprocity status.
- 40 Hours of continuning education every 2 years or 20 hour's every year of certification is required to meet a counselor's recertification bi-annually.
IC&RC Exams and Prep to Test Information
Click here to view IC&RC Exam Schedule.
IC&RC Exam Registration (Paper/Pencil)
- The Southwest Certification Board (SCB) offers the paper & pencil exams four (4) times a year in the months of March, June, September and December on site at the Native American Connections, 4520 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ.
- The exam candidate must complete and submit the paper & pencil exam registration form and $200 check or money order or use the pay now option below.
- The exam registration and fee must be received one month prior to the posted exam date..
- After May 1, 2017 all IC&RC Exams will be exclusive to the Computer Based Testing (CBT).
IC&RC Computer Based Testing (CBT)
The CBT is an on-demand testing service for which you can register anytime. Upon receiving your registration, the Southwest Certification Board will pre-register you with Schroeder Measurements (Technologies (SMT). SMT will assist you directly by providing you a User ID & password and specific instructions on selecting a testing site from their availability, and the date and time of the exam.
In addition to the Alcohol Drug Counselor (ADC) exam IC & RC offers other professional exams which can be viewed on the IC&RC exam registration form or the IC&RC website.
The exam candidate must complete and submit the CBT exam registration form and $250 check or money order or use the Pay Now option below.
All IC&RC exams now have 25 unweighted pre-testing items which affects the number of scored items on the examinations. Further information regarding this change can be found in the corresponding Candidate Guides at this link http://professionals.internationalcredentialing.org/exams.
*Click here to view the IC&RC Exam Schedule & to access the registration form for the exams.
For more information contact:
Davina Haskins at (602) 254-3247 ext. 1011
Attachments: (Listed Below)
- CADC I Minimum Requirements
- CADC II Minimum Requirements
- CADC first time application
- CADC recertification packet
- IC&RC Certificate Application
- CADC Ethics
- CPS recertification packet
- CPS Ethics
- IC&RC Application for P&L Exam
- IC&RC Application for CBT Exam
- IC&RC CBT FAQ
- IC&RC 2015 Exam Schedule - Changes every year